A Brief History of the Bay of Colwyn Sailing Club.
Back in 1958 Brian Heywood was sailing his Twinkle Ten in the Bay of Colwyn and thought there must be other people out there interested in sailing.
The following year he placed an advert in the North Wales Weekly News requesting for likeminded people to contact him. Very quickly a group of 20 enthusiasts started meeting in Mike’s Café in Colwyn Bay and the club was born.Colwyn Council was approached and the present boat park was rented at a peppercorn rent of £50 per annum. On site was the old wooden structured Puppet Theatre, this was used as the club H.Q. for the next 18 months.With support growing quickly the council was again approached and a 10 year lease was given on Beach Cliff House, Rhos Promenade which became the Club House.
The glorious summer of 1959 saw a menagerie of boats on the water which formed the basis of the clubs fleet with GP14, Enterprise, Firefly and Albacore dinghies and an odd 505, Solo and Heron. The GP14s and Enterprises were soon racing as class fleets with Fireballs following. Racing was arranged every Sunday from Easter until the end of October with midweek point’s races on Wednesday evenings.
From then onwards enthusiasm grew. Soon more and more members were recruited, for somehow the formation of the club had captured the imagination of would-be-sailors who had cherished a dream and never thought it would become reality were now eager to join and take part in this exhilarating sport.
Membership grew to such an extent that in 1963 there were some 15 major trophies to race for.By the nineteen- eighties 30 major trophies were competed for annually and the club had a membership of 150. During these heady days the club also had an
active powerboat section and organised a 60 boat and skier marathon event. In the nineties club membership was declining and the club house lease was transferred to the Colwyn Sea Sports Ass.
Dinghy sailing was also becoming less popular and by the turn of the last century Sunday racing began to decline and eventually stopped.At the same time yacht cruising was becoming popular and the clubs sailing activities have now become mainly cruising. Organised cruising weekend events take place throughout the season visiting major local ports such as Liverpool and Holyhead and favourite spots around the Anglesey coast. Last year 2 boats went off on a fortnights cruise to Ireland and it is likely that this year more boats will be accompanying them .
There are still a number of dinghies in the club and dinghy sailing events are still organised jointly with Rydal Penrhos School. Over the years the Powerboat/Fishing boat section has remained active. The Boat Park has recently undergone major improvements and now has a new 21 year lease from Conwy County Borough Council. It is now a more secure site with a 2 metre high fence, a new roadway, a new concrete boat shed and a larger tractor has been purchased to cope with launching and recovery of the bigger yachts.
The boat yard is now virtually full to capacity and a hive of activity throughout the year and supports many BBQS during the sailing season. 3 years ago we celebrated our 50th anniversary and we are now looking forward with great confidence to our next 50 years.
Paul Lyon. Rear Commodore. (2012)